Wednesday 16 November 2011

Interview: Paul Thurlby

Paul Thurlby has a contemporary illustrative style with a perfectly imperfect finish. His illustrated Alphabet range is so brilliant with its retro inspired typography that it has been produced as prints, books and even greetings cards. As a valued part of the 1973 family we thought it was only right that we asked him our 10 questions. 


What is your greatest achievement? 
Getting out of bed this morning...... No, seriously, it would have to be my alphabet book and prints. 

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it? 
Ha ha, I usually just tell people to have a look themselves . But, seeing as you are asking, I would say simple, graphic, humorous, retro-modern.

Which piece/product/design do wish you had thought of? 
Any really clever and simple idea. I really like Jon Klassen's children's book 'I want my hat back' right now. 

Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
The Beatles for an album cover. Is that still possible? Otherwise, Sir Peter blake would be interesting to work with.

What is the worst job you have ever had?
I was a student. It was summer. I was starving. I answered an ad in a newspaper that read 'Earn Money'. It was telesales for double glazing and kitchens. I hated it. Target the old and vulnerable they said. I lasted 30mins before saying I needed the loo . I made my exit and didn't look back. 

If you were on Death Row what would your last meal be? 
Baked Beans. Hopefully, after consumption, I would produce enough toxic gas to be able to knock out the guards and make my escape.

What is the greatest movie of all time? 
Citizen Kane. That's what they all say right? Impossible question!

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
The way we are all conditioned by the government and mass media. 

What is the greatest invention of all time? 
The humble pencil.

If you didn't do what you do. What would you do? 
I'd probably be working in an office and my eyes would be glazed over. Feeling sleepy.

All images courtesy of Paul Thurlby and www.paulthurlby.com



No comments:

Post a Comment