Wednesday 23 November 2011

Interview: Steve Scott

Australian native Steve Scott is a quite extraordinary illustrator and animator. His amazing psychedelic visuals were the backdrop to Led Zeppelin's re-union in 2007. His client list is as impressive as his portfolio so we very excited when he took the time to answer our 10 questions. 

What is your greatest achievement? 
I would say either seeing my animations on stage at the O2 Arena for the Led Zeppelin re-union gig or seeing my work at the Guggenheim. Both had a slightly mind blowing quality.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it? 
hmmmm that's a hard one.... pop, psychedelia, humour. 

Who/what inspires you most? 
There's a few people I constantly look back to for inspiration, for example Tadanori Yokoo's  60s screens prints are sublime, full of great detail & humour & colour. Of course Herges Tin Tin. More recently I've really fallen for the fluid lines of french comics artist, Christophe Blain.
Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
I would love to work with a good writer such as Jeff Vandameer and create a creepy, weird comic. 

What is the worst job you have had? 
Making T shirt designs for a psychopathic boss in australia who threatened to destroy my career when I said  was leaving.

What one piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self? 
Kiss that girl. 

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time? 
Not under the rule of plutocratic bankers and corporations.

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
X factor brave new world brainless entertainment.

What is the greatest invention of all time? 
The internet. I don't think I would be as busy without it.

If you didn't do what you do. What would you do? 
Probably be a homeless bum. Prior to my current career I was fired for smashing up two cars as a car park attendant. 

1 comment: