Wednesday 30 November 2011

Interview: Sandra Dieckmann.

Sandra Dieckmann's enchanting woodland beasts and navajo prints are so strikingly beautiful they can't help but conjure up festive daydreams for their viewers. Her intricately drawn subjects are often accompanied by graphic patterns brought to life by a vibrant colour pallet which showcases her incredible talent perfectly. Born in Germany, living in East London, Sandra was kind enough to answer our 10 little questions. 

How would you describe your work to someone who hadn't seen it? 
Colourful, detailed, crisp, folky, inspired by the natural world and I guess a little dreamy. 

What/Who has had the biggest impact on your work? 
I think it's what rather than who. Realising that you only have one shot at happiness - meaning this one life - and believing that being happy means creating your life in the best way that you can. 

Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
Someone honest, driven, and open. Also someone that has time for the world and not just themselves. People with open eyes. People that make eye contact and aren't scared to tell a long story. People that can say 'not so good' when asked 'how are you?' Someone whose work I admire and that I feel can bring as much to me as I can them. Maybe David Attenborough will take me on one of his ventures one day ;-)

Who amongst your contemporaries do you admire? 
I admire my good friend Jamie Mills' work for it's honesty and beauty. I'm also a big fan of Caitlin Hackets's detailed wonder worlds and creatures and I love Jack Hudson for his colours and shapes. Lizzie Stewart's characters are darling and the taste of history and romance that her images leave behind I find enchanting.
I think I could go on as there is some great talent out there at the moment but hey! Here you have a few. 


What has been your biggest work achievement to date? 
Honestly. Turning down a big contract that would have seen my illustrations washed all over shops. It's so hard when integrity collides with potential income but I think it's important to stay true to your art. 
The designs I did for Moment skies that will be in stores next year has been an amazing opportunity, a fun job with a great client.  

It's your last meal on Death Row. What would you have? 
Nothing. Why would I need to eat if I was about to die?

What is the greatest invention of all time? 
In First place: The Bed.
In Second place: (but only because it makes me sad sometimes that lonely souls spiral deeper into isolation and eye to eye communication decreases) The Internet. Without it I would have to go knocking on doors and would be annoying people on the phone. Work would be double as hard and twice as slow. 
Itunes on Shuffle. What is the fourth song that plays? 
Motorbike - Wooden Ships.

If you didn't do what you do, what would you do? 
I'd definitely be studying again to become a veterinary surgeon and practitioner. 

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
The way that people are made to believe that they are making choices, when in fact it's like chicken feed, everything is thrown right in front of them. Switch off the TV nation and look at each other. 
All images courtesy of sandradieckmann.com


1 comment: