Wednesday 3 October 2012

Interview: Alice Potter.

What is your greatest achievement?
I think I would say getting to the stage I'm at with my work has been an achievement in itself. Having no formal illustration training, I have had to navigate the field myself, learning all along the way. I gave myself targets for 2012, like getting my first editorial job, and I can happily say I have achieved that and a lot more so far this year. 

How would you describe your work/ style to someone who hadn't seen it?
I always prefer to show rather than tell, whenever I get asked this. I suppose it's all quite bold, colourful, stylised and decorative. It's also been described as quite feminine in ways, but I'm not sure how I feel about that description. I think that it is fun though!

What one piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
Hair gel is never a good idea!
Other than that, stick to the path I am on really. Oh, and maybe learn to be more confident at a younger age. 



When are you happiest?
I am always happiest in the middle of a project. You have got through the tough initial research stage, or sketches and you have made it to the fun part. Adding colour and detail is always the best part of what I do. I can happily loose myself for hours doing that. 

What is the worst job you have had?
I haven't really had many bad jobs at all. I suppose measuring and fitting kid's shoes has to be up there at t he top somewhere, but even that wasn't awful. 

Who would play you in the movie of your life?
I decided to ask my brother who he thought it should be. Unfortunately, his suggestion was Dana Carvey (aka Garth from Wayne's World). Maybe Lisa Kudrow could be fun. I have told I am a little bit like Phoebe. 


What is your karaoke song?
I would like to think I would pick something cheesy like 'I've Had the Time of My Life', but in my heart of hearts it would be probably be something like 'My Generation'.

What do you dislike most about popular culture?
I have been removed from most sections of popular culture for a long time that having an opinion on it is actually quite hard. Generally, it's all pretty boring and pointless, but I can understand why TV shows and pop stars are popular. I just have to think back to what I liked when I was a teenager, to understand why things are popular now. Doesn't mean I like it though. 

What is the greatest invention of all time?
Isn't paper pretty amazing? It's also terrifying to look at when it's all white and blank.

If you didn't do what you do, what would you do?
I would probably still be a bookseller with a crack team working in a really amazing bookshop. I would order all the upcoming illustrated children's books, and wish I could do something like that, if I wasn't a bookseller. 


All images courtesy of www.alicepotter.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment