Thursday 7 June 2012

Interview: Owen Gatley.



What is your greatest achievement?
Drawing pictures to earn a living.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it?
Generally I'd say fun, bright and playful, inspired by comic art and 50's Americana.

What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self? 
'Keep doing what you're doing and one day you shall grow up to be just like me'

Who would you most like to collaborate with?
The idea of a collaboration scares me a little. I put myself under a lot of pressure with work so the potential of letting someone else down as well as myself stresses me out . But generally at some point I'd love to have my drawings animated, so an animator. I would also love to produce pop up books in the future, so writers / paper mechanics / publishers.

What is the worst job you have ever had?
Topping pizzas as Safeways.

Who would play you in the movie of your life? 
I like this question. I wish I could say someone like Michael Shannon or Michael Fassbender but in reality it would be Jon Heder of Napoleon Dynamite :( Larry David would play me in latter stages of my life, i don't look like him, but we share a lot of qualities - an aversion to 'stop and chat' and continuously offending people by accident etc.

What is the greatest song of all time?
When I try to answer this my brain goes into *system overload* and I start sparking. I can't answer this. 

What do you dislike most about popular culture?
Fearne Cotton or Ruth Jones.

What is the greatest invention of all time?
Hmm... I get a lot of satisfaction out of stuff that works well mechanically, my Dad's an engineer so I get it from him. I like good packaging that opens and closes in a pleasing way. The milk carton is a great invention, the square opening always pours incredibly well, without spillage. But maybe not the greatest invention of ALL time... I dunno, the shoe-horn.

If you didn't do what you do, what would you do?
I'd probably be a failed musician (which essentially I already am)

all images courtesy of www.owengatley.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment