You will need:
Four pieces of your favourite wrapping papers, cutting mat, scalpel, double sided sticky tape, metal ruler, pen/pencil, scissors.
1. Pick one wrap and, using a ruler, scalpel and cutting mat, cut out 8 strips which are 15cm long and 1.5cm wide. Repeat with a second wrap so that you have 16 nice neat strips.
2. Fold them all in half so that they have a crease in the middle (pattern facing outwards).
3. Using your third wrap choice, using a ruler, scalpel and cutting mat, cut out four strips which are each 25cm long and 1.5cm wide. Then stick them together with double sided sticky tape in pairs with the patterns facing outwards.
4. Taking one of these long strips, place double sided sticky tape along one side of it and begin to carefully stick the ends of all 16 strips alternately onto it (long ways). Make sure they are level and neatly next to each other with no gaps. The 16 strips should then bring you to the end of this strip.
5.Take the remaining long strip, place double sided sticky tape along one side, and then do the same with the opposite ends of the 16 strips, not making them too taut, but not too loose either.
6. Then curl the two ends around so that they meet, and use double sided sticky tape to fix them together. Repeat with the other end, so that you end up with a lantern shape.
7. Then finally, to make a chain, use a ruler, scalpel and cutting mat to cut one final strip which is 30cm long and 3cm wide. Fold it in half long ways and stick together with double sided sticky tape so that it ends up being 1.5cm wide. Then bend it and attach each end to the inside of the upper ring with double sided sticky tape.
8. And there you have it, your very own Halloween Lantern!
post by Rosie and Holly