Wednesday 19 October 2011

Interview: Blanca Gomez.

Blanca Gómez of Cosas Minimas is a Madrid based Illustrator and Graphic designer whose simple and clean designs are fun and modern. She was kind enough to take the time to answer some of our questions. 

What is your greatest achievement to date? 
I think my greatest achievement would be that I'm able to develop my own career. Also, lately I had the opportunity of illustrating some children's books. Maybe it sounds silly, but that's also a great achievement for me, as I considered some years ago the illustrating stories was a big challenge.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it? 
Simple, graphic... Cheerful, but somehow a bit melancholic sometimes.

Who/ What inspires you most?
It's difficult to answer this question without saying the classic cliché: everything that surrounds me. So I'll just mention some of the things that have attracted my attention lately: The hidden signs of John Carpenter’s ‘They live' film; the Portuguese city of Port; the last Houellebecq novel (The map and the territory); certain scene shot the country from Richard Ayoade's film "Submarine", although I didn't enjoy the film as much; or the tomboy girls pictures from the past at tomboystyle blog. All these thing flashed across my head, and I suppose that some sensations remain, and then something comes out of it all.

Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
To be honest, I have no idea. I love the work of many people, but, either I admire them too much to consider I could collaborate with them, or their ways are so different that I can't imagine a form of collaboration. Usually, both things happen at the same time...


Besides, I've been working alone for a long time, and I find it difficult  to work with other people at this point. There's a nice exception: my studio mate Juanjo López; For some reason, his fonts and my drawings fit well together.



















What is the worst job you have ever had?
I've been lucky, I never had a McJob. Having said that, I worked on a graphic design studio where one employee lost her hair due to stress.

If you were on Death Row, what would you eat? 
Meatballs with French Fries cooked by my mother, coffee... and a last cigarette, please!

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years? 
More or less where I am now, but wiser, calmer and more organised. 

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
The role of mass media.


























What is the greatest invention of all time? 
The bed (well, not exactly an invention) and books. And the bed-book kit!

If you didn't do what you do. What would you do? 
I guess I would still be working as a graphic designer. If not, I probably would be flipping burgers, considering the current job situation in my country. 


No comments:

Post a Comment