Wednesday 28 September 2011

Interview: Patrick Hruby.

Los Angeles-based illustrator Patrick Hruby. A graduate from the Art Centre College of Design, his distinct style of geometric shapes and bold colours result in striking designs. He was kind enough to answer our ten questions.






















































What is your greatest achievement? 
That's a difficult question. I guess if I had to choose something related to my work it would be that I have survived a freelance illustrator ever since school. It has been scary sometimes but I think it was important that I believed that it would work. One of my favourite professors once told me 'Don't have a backup plan. If you do, you'll use it.'

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it? 
Bright and playful, flat and graphic.

Who/What inspires you most? 
I am really most inspired when I see someone do something really well. When someone creates something that makes me think 'Why didn't I think of that?' It challenges me to try my hardest to do the same.

Who would you most like to collaborate with? 
I have had the chance to collaborate with some really amazing people already, but if I had to choose someone new it would be something I have never done before. Maybe Herman Miller, or Michel Gondry.

What is the worst job you have ever had? 
When I was in high school in Idaho I was a farm hand. I eventually was fired.
What one piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self? 
Relax!

Where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time? 
I would love to have the opportunity to design more. I mean really get involved in every aspect. I would love to be in a position where I had the trust and resources to do that. 

What do you dislike most about popular culture? 
There is a lot of pop culture that I love. The only times that I am at odds with it is when it focus on the negative. There is already war, poverty and famine. There is a place in the arts for exposing that for what it is, but I really feel like my role is to expose the beautiful. 

What is the greatest invention of all time? 
Mathematics. I guess that is more a discovery than an invention, but it is at the heart of everything and really makes the magical possible. 

If you didn't do what you do. What would you do? 
Realistically I would probably still be waiting tables, but in my fantasy I would be a scientist. 
Images courtesy of Patrick Hruby

No comments:

Post a Comment