Thursday 28 March 2013

Interview Stanley Chow

What is your greatest achievement?
My greatest achievement is to be able to look after my family (wife and 2 kids) by drawing pictures. The first 10 years out of art school, my career looked quite bleak...there were times when you didn't know when you were going to be commissioned next week...or even ever.
How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it?
My main style is trying to capture the likeness and essence of a person in a very graphic geometric way. Keeping everything as simple as possible. My general style is keeping things geometric, stylish and simple with vector artwork.
What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
Stay focused and don't get sidetracked if you know being an artist is what you want to become.
When are you at your happiest?
When I am sat in my car with my wife driving, the kids in the back singing....we would be going somewhere....anywhere, the shops, the zoo...it doesn't matter, but that makes me very happy.
What is the worst job you have ever done?
I could happily illustrate greetings cards all day, but actually working for a greeting card company,9 to 5, being told what to illustrate and given no artistic or creative licence, was one of the most stifling jobs I have done....this was worst than peeling potatoes in a chip shop. I wanted to illustrate but working for that company was soul destroying.
Who would play you in the story of your life?
Bill Murray
What is your Karaoke song?
Angel Eyes by Wet Wet Wet, this is no way any reflection on what my music tastes are at all.
What do you dislike most about popular culture?
I just don't like the way everything I like seems to be tagged as popular culture...the term itself puts me off things that are popular culture, but as soon as I turn my back on it and like something else.....that something else automatically becomes labelled as popular culture....Aaaarrrghh!!!
What is the greatest invention of all time?
The Pencil
If you didn't do what you do, what would you do?
Work in a chinese takeaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment