Wednesday 28 March 2012

Interview: Mitch Blunt.

Geometric, sharp and clean are three words that spring to mind when looking at designs by Mitch Blunt. Kingston graduate Blunt has said that his work is influenced by 'Polish posters, old comics and 80's cartoons'. He was kind enough to answer our quick 10.


What is your greatest achievement?
Definitely my wedding speech! I'm quite a recluse; I spend all my time working alone so the idea of speaking in font of people was my worst nightmare.

How would you describe your work/style to someone who hadn't seen it?
Simple shapes and compostions, limited bright colour palette and strong ideas (hopefully)

What piece of advice would you give your 15 year old self?
Pay more attention in school - specifically Science- Keep drawing - find out what illustration is now rather than at 18.

Who would you most like to collaborate with?
Other than some key art directors out there, no other individual really... I'd like to collaborate with a brand. Someone like Carhartt or Stüssy would be great to work with. 

What is the worst job you have ever had? 
Not the worst but the weirdest job would be working as a hospital theatre porter. I got to see operations such as a bunion being sawn off and stuff like that. I was super interesting but pretty grim sometimes!

Who would play you in the movie of your life?
I'm a huge Michael Shannon fan but he's way too dramatic and good at what he does to play me.

What is the greatest song of all time?
When feeling down: Johnny Cash - Hurt
When feeling good: Johnny Cash - Boy named Sue

What do you dislike most about popular culture?
Fake celebrity status and all the awful chart music that people keep insisting on buying 

What is the greatest invention of all time?
Hands down, the Internet.

If you didn't do what you do. What would you do?
I'd probably just work in a design studio somewhere pushing type around.... or still in the hospital pushing bloody instruments around. 

all images courtesy of www.mitchblunt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment